Re: KConfig and DTS files

On Wednesday 07 May 2014 10:47:27 Eric Nelson wrote:

> It seems reasonable to tell the kernel to skip this if the
> WiFi driver isn't configured into the kernel (i.e. there's
> no point in enumerating), so I was hoping to surround this
> USDHC2 block with #ifdefs:
>
>         https://github.com/boundarydevices/linux-imx6/blob/boundary-imx_3.10.17_1.0.0_ga/arch/arm/boot/dts/imx6qdl-nitrogen6x.dtsi#L640
>
> The alternative aren't very nice:
>         populate extra parts to drive these signals, or
>         copy the DTB and strip out the unused parts
>
> The first is wasteful (and environmentally un-friendly), and
> the second doesn't scale very well and pollutes the Git tree.

It's fine to have two .dtb files (as Olof and Jason also suggested)
and you can even have both in the kernel and just pick the right
one for your machine.

Another option that works is to have the boot loader set up the
present devices. With u-boot, you can easily manipulate the binary dtb
and change a 'status="disabled"' to 'status="ok"' or vice versa
for devices that are only sometimes populated, or you can change
the amount of installed RAM as detected by the loader.

	Arnd