Re: State of spidev from devicetree

On tor, 2019-09-26 at 14:21 +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 12:50 PM Mark Brown <broonie@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 02:52:59PM +0200, Claus Stovgaard wrote:
> >
> > > What is yours response to the idea of creating a custom-hardware
> > > binding
> > > for spidev, intended to be used for programmable hardware unknown
> > > at the
> > > devicetree time.
> >
> > You should use a device tree overlay to describe whatever
> > hardware you've instantiated on your FPGA then load the overlay
> > along with your FPGA image.
>
> And after that, you can bind spidev to the device in the overlay
> using
> sysfs, cfr. commit 5039563e7c25eccd ("spi: Add driver_override SPI
> device
> attribute").

I know this is a bit old, but will still thank you for the replays.

Regarding overlays and binding via sysfs. I understand your answer and
proposal for solution. Though in our situation with a very basic
embedded system it is just extra overhead and added complexity,
compared to just having a spidev from initial devicetree. Without
giving anything as I see it. So would still have preferred some-kind of
custom string in the .compatible inside spidev.

Thanks
Claus