Should we keep memory nodes in device tree if memory layout can be auto-detected?

Hi all!

I'm a contributor of the OpenWrt project.
There are some OEM vendors making routers with different ram/flash
sizes while using the same model number. (example: [0]) To get them
work we have to create different device tree for each ram sizes, and
since users may not be aware of the actual memory size on their
devices, they'll brick it if incorrect firmware was used.
To save some effort from this kind of work, I implemented memory
auto-detection for Mediatek MT7621 [1] and deleted all existing memory
nodes in device trees for OpenWrt ramips target [2].
After some discussions I'm not sure if the latter commit is a proper
one so I bring these questions here:
1. If kernel can precisely probe memory size of the target device,
should we still keep memory nodes in device tree when memory size
varies on a single device model?
2. should we keep memory node for devices that doesn't have different
memory sizes yet? (When it comes to routers, vendors are unlikely to
guarantee how much memory they'll use.)
3. If we should keep it, should we enforce kernel to use memory info
in device tree when it presents or just ignore the one in dts and let
kernel detect it?

Regards,
Chuanhong Guo

[0] https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/1930