Re: Moving ARM dts files

On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 09:19:49 +0100 Linus Walleij wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 7:02 AM Jisheng Zhang wrote:
> > Rob Herring wrote:
>
> > >     'armada' : 'marvell',
> > >     'berlin' : 'marvell',
> >
> > Now, berlin SoC is synaptics' SoC ;)
>
> This illustrates perfectly the artificial nature of using vendor names
> as prefixes with DT properties, prefix names, directories etc.
>
> Companies start out purporting to be some eternal entity and the
> next day they buy each other left and right and license their
> hardware IP to whoever wants it.
>
> It actually makes much more sense to organize these files by
> the SoC family name, because that doesn't change when the
> SoC is sold to another company.

If the SoC is sold to another company, then

case1: The original SoC family is renamed to another family.

case2: Based on the original SoC, a newer SoC family comes out.

I'm not sure it's still fine to put the new or renamed SoCs' files into the
original SoC directory.

Another issue is: who will be the maintainer of new or renamed SoC family?

Thanks,
Jisheng