Re: [Query] thermal: Who is using "cooling-{min|max}-level}" properties ?

On 09/02/2018 07:42, Viresh Kumar wrote:
> On 07-02-18, 11:45, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
>> Yes, that is my understanding. cooling-min-level and cooling-max-level
>> are not used in the thermal framework code today.
>
> Right.
>
>> So if they are defined, we should check the cooling-device max and min
>> are in the boundaries (if they are different from no-limit).
>
> Hmm, I am not sure. We do compare those values (from maps) with the
> max reported by the cooling driver, so there is some boundary check
> happening. And I don't think it is worth comparing the min/max values
> from DT cooling device's nodes. Why not just leave those for the
> driver to return (which is already happening btw).
>
> I don't think it would be correct for the thermal core to go and look
> at the min/max properties of the cooling device directly, as those are
> more for the thermal driver's help. The thermal core should just call
> the get_max_state() callback and that's it.
>
> Anyway, we can take decision on the binding itself after some time but
> I will send some patches to get rid of this property from CPU nodes
> for now. It doesn't make sense to have it there (anyway it is
> optional), as the cpu cooling devices are kind of virtual cooling
> devices which rely on OPP or freq-table currently. Maybe I will begin
> by just updating one platform and once that is merged, update
> everything else as well.

What about the "cooling-cells" ? Its usage is unclear in the code and
I'm not sure it is really needed.

--
 <http://www.linaro.org/> Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs

Follow Linaro:  <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Linaro> Facebook |