Re: Disabling autoneg and enforcing speed/duplex

Hi Rob,

thanks for your reply.

On 02/06/2014 03:50 PM, Rob Herring wrote:
On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 6:00 AM, Gerlando Falauto
<gerlando.falauto@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I'm using the Kirkwood Ethernet controller (mv643xx_eth.c) with a Marvell
88E3018 PHY which needs to be set in forced 100Base-TX mode.

Thanks to Sebastian's addition of DT support to the ethernet driver, I can
easily set speed and duplex within the ethernet's port node, therefore
leaving the phy unmanaged -- this works fine (I guess this mode is set on
the phy by the bootloader or by strap settings).

However, this PHY has an erratum whose workaround requires some registers be
written -- I believe the natural solution would be to start managing the PHY
(i.e. set "phy-handle") and implement the proper workaround within
drivers/net/phy/marvell.c. Making the PHY managed does however enable
autoneg and therefore break everything.

Which brings me to my question: shouldn't there be a way to specify some
forced settings within the PHY's node for such cases?

Only thing I found vaguely resembling what I'm looking for is Florian's
patch introducing "max-speed" in the PHY -- not quite the same thing though.
Which, if I understand it correctly, implements it as a property of the PHY,
whereas ePAPR specifies it as a property of the ethernet device (which makes
sense, since you might want to connect a 10/100 MII to a 10/100/1000 PHY and
therefore have the MII restrict the capabilities of the PHY).

You shouldn't need a property in this case. The driver knows what the
h/w is limited to and can configure the phy based on that.

I see, you're right.

It is when
both sides should support a higher speed and you need to limit it for
some other reason like errata or board level configuration.

Which is exactly my case. The phy should be configured to work in 100Base-TX mode, full duplex.

Or perhaps I'm missing some important bits here?

Does this patch help you:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/1/15/533

I think so... So I guess I should jest set all

phy-mii-advertise-10full = <0>;
phy-mii-advertise-100full = <1>;

is that right?
I'll test it and let you know.