Re: [RFC 0/5] Align and document return values of phandle and reference parsing for OF and ACPI

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 7:29 AM, Sakari Ailus
<sakari.ailus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I recently came across a difference in behaviour of OF phandle parsing and
> ACPI reference parsing, both of which can soon be accessed using
> fwnode_property_get_reference_args.
>
> The main change in this proposal touches OF, and specifically the change
> is about using -ENODATA to tell that the phandle reference list entry that
> was accessed does not exist. -ENOENT was used previously, but the same
> error code was also used to tell that a phandle was empty, making it
> impossible for the caller to figure out which of the two was the case.
>
> I'm sending the set as RFC. In my limited testing I have found no ill
> effects.
>
> These patches are on top of linux-next.
>
> Comments on the approach and the changes themselves would be most welcome.

It's not really valid to both have a variable count (and hence need to
retrieve it) and use blank phandle entries. The whole point of blank
entries is to have a fixed length and know what each index corresponds
too. Do you have an example where we hit this?

Rob