Status of drivers/of/configfs.c

In 2014 Pantelis Antoniou sent a patch...
    https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/3/18/625
...creating an interface between the config filesystem and devicetree overlays.

As far as I can see it is used in a couple of "off the mainstream
kernel" like the beaglebone black.

Alas, at this stage it doesn't seem to have made it into the upstream
kernel.....

1) What is the status of this patch? Is it still being maintained? If so where?

2) My interest in it is for an nasty bit of oddball hardware.

I have to change a pin from being an gpio input at boot time to being
a uart output sometime after boot.

Would the of / configfs be the best way of doing that or is there a better way?

Thank you!

--
John Carter
Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639