Myir AM437x Rico board support (DTS) for Linux mainline 4.9 and 4.4 Ti Processor SDK 03.02.00.05

Hello Tony and others,

I have found some personal time during holydays[*] and proceed
furhers with RICO board support for perspective kernel versions.

I have prepared a device tree which provides quite complete
board support for the most of peripherals found on MyIR
AM437x Ricoboard. I have tested the kernel on the real board
which I have bought for myself to do testing and can contribute
previous work to to mainline.

LEDs, Ethernet, LEDs, SDcard, eMMC, onboard SPI NVM etc.
works. Generally the AM437x mainline support is great except
for SGX. It has been pleasant to work with it. I used TFTP boot
and ramdisk overlay over NFS exported Debian Jessie RO chroot
install.

Only significant missing piece is HDMI support. I have put
setup which I prepared for Ti kernels to device-tree.
But mainline supports SII9022 HDMI encoder only by

  drivers/gpu/drm/bridge/sii902x.c

but OMAP DSS changes "sil,sii9022" in device-tree
to omapdss,sil,sii9022 which seems to be customized
version found in Texas Instruments tree

  drivers/gpu/drm/omapdrm/displays/encoder-sii9022-video.c

Do you know if there are some plans to support combination
of this driver or include customized version in mainline
for OMAP?

I expect that non accelerated graphic with parallel
LCD panel would work with 4.9 mainline kernel and
the prepared device tree if #if 0 is changed to #if 1.

The 4.9 mainline support files can be found there

  http://pikron.com/files/linux/rico/linux-4.9/am437x-myir-ricoboard.dts
  http://pikron.com/files/linux/rico/linux-4.9/am437x-myir-ricoboard.dtb

http://pikron.com/files/linux/rico/linux-4.9/config-4.9-mainline-myir-ricoboard

I would be happy if they can help others, some feedback
and cooperation would be great as well. I would be happy
to contribute DTS to mainline if it is found acceptable.
I can prepare version without HDMI or complete DSS section
if actual untested/able section is unacceptable.

Because of missing HDMI support and attempt to test SGX
accelerated support, I have tried official Ti
Processor SDK image for AM437x (am437x-evm-linux-03.02.00.05).
I have prepared DTS and tested it with my overlay enabled
kernel and Debian and Ti root filesystems as well as with
original Ti kernel.

There are files for use with HDMI connected monitor

  files/linux/rico/linux-ti-4.4/am437x-myir-ricoboard-hdmi.dts
  files/linux/rico/linux-ti-4.4/am437x-myir-ricoboard-hdmi.dtb
  files/linux/rico/linux-ti-4.4/config-ti-4.4-myir-ricoboard

and another set for parallel LCD panel (untested)

  files/linux/rico/linux-ti-4.4/am437x-myir-ricoboard.dts
  files/linux/rico/linux-ti-4.4/am437x-myir-ricoboard.dtb

I have managed to build SGX driver for my kernel configuration
and from the testing of Ti image it seem to be used same way
as for original Ti kernel build.

I have no luck with accelerated Xorg. But Ti release notes
states that Xorg support is missing in 03.02.00.05.

There is question if it is permanent status or if there is some
change.

Is there chance that Ti includes this prepared DTS in their
kernel branch?

For sure mainline 4.9 support is even more interesting
for me and future.

Best wishes,

Pavel

[*] Our company partner cares mainly (and may be pays something)
for my work on maintenance of ancient MyIR Linux 3.12.10 kernel
in their products. And MyIR company does not seem to really
care about users and updates at all even if the enhancements
are sent them for free. Typical experience but great thing about
this board is that a schematic diagram is provided which makes
possible to develop proper support.