Re: Add Allwinner Q8 tablets hardware manager

Hi,

On 27-10-16 19:31, Pierre-Hugues Husson wrote:

<snip>

We could just have:

        i2c-probe-stop-at-first-match-0 = <&touchscreen1>, <&touchscreen2>,
<&touchscreen3>;
        i2c-probe-stop-at-first-match-1 = <&accelerometer1>,
<&accelerometer2>;

And have the i2c bus code look for an i2c-probe-stop-at-first-match-[i++]
property
until it is not found. Having a child-node with its own compatible for this
feels wrong, as it uses a hierarchy where there really is none.
Ok, looks much better indeed.
I had one case where accelerometers could be on either i2c1 or i2c5.
Do you think this could be handled as well, or this makes things much
more complicated to fit in the i2c driver?

Handling that is easy, just add a i2c-probe-stop-at-first-match to
both busses (with separate child nodes to be probed under each bus),
the on one bus the probe-code will just read the end of the list
and stop, I believe we should not treat that as an error anyways
(even if there is only 1 bus).

So this would require us to be able to filter (to use your example)
on if another i2c device is found and on which address it is found,
that does not even take the rda559x check into account and is
going to cause interesting ordering issues, how do we know when
we can actually do the filtering if some of the variables we are
filtering on are set by other auto-detected paths. Which auto-detect /
i2c-probe-stop-at-first-match list do we execute first ? Worse
actually for accelerometer orientation I will likely need to
set the mount-matrix based on the detected touchscreen ...

The rda559x here is a sdio wifi chip, which is also connected to the
i2c, and currently is detected through i2c to be able to separately
identify 2 q8 boards which share the same touchscreen + accelerometer
combination and who knows what other checks I or other people can
come up with to differentiate board variants which do not have
a simple eeprom to uniquely id them.

So as said before, no this cannot be all done in dt without
adding a turing complete language to dt, and that is just to
select which touchscreen_variant to use.
Ok, now that I understand the scope of your needs.
I agree with you, this needs a (close to) turing complete language.
I'm still not really happy about doing it in a driver, but I agree the
full scope you need is scarce enough.
Assuming this is done in a driver, there would need to be some
plumbing between i2c-probe-stop-at-first-match, device's probe
function and your driver, so that your driver only does the various
if/cases and DT changes, but there is no actual device communication
done in that driver.

Ah, no I meant dealing with this in the actual device driver,
not in some special intermediate driver, just like the actual x86
device drivers (sometimes) apply quirks based on board DMI strings.

<snip>

Regards,

Hans