Re: [BISECTED] v4.5-rc1 phylib regression

> > Nope, not an option. Only a small number of DTB actually use c22 or
> > c45. The majority of devices have no compatible at all. Why should
> > they, the binding documentation says it is optional!
>
> So one thing that can be done is to just have a whitelist in the
> driver that we add the known phy compatibles to, with a nice comment
> above that this should only be for legacy device trees.

So you mean drivers/of/of_mdio.c:of_mdiobus_child_is_phy()
has a white list like:

"brcm,40nm-ephy"
"marvell,88E1111",
"marvell,88e1116",
"marvell,88e1118",
"marvell,88e1149r",
"marvell,88e1310",
"marvell,88E1510",
"marvell,88E1514",
"moxa,moxart-rtl8201cp",

Yes, that would work.

We should also update the binding documentation to limit what is legal
in the compatible string.

   Andrew