Re: IIO device indexing issue

On 04/11/15 18:53, Vesa Jääskeläinen wrote:
> [...]
>> different order for whatever reason the numbers will change. You can use
>> readlink on the IIO device in /sys/bus/iio/devices to get its position in
>> the global device topology and be able to tell what the parent device is,
>> but this path might not be completely stable either though. E.g. if your
>> device is on a I2C bus and the number of the I2C bus is dynamically assigned
>> it might change when the probe order changes.
>>
>> Alias seem to be one way to solve this issue. The big question remains is
>> how to communicate the alias to userspace. For other device classes the
>> alias index is used as the device index e.g. a device with alias i2c0 ends
>> up being the i2c adapter with index 0. But with IIO where we support a wide
>> range of different devices that does not really work. E.g. what to do if you
>> have adc0 and dac0 as aliases for different devices. So you'd need a
>> different way to expose the alias.
>>
>> Some bindings also use the "label" property to assign a unique name to node.
>> But again the same issue how to expose that information to applications.
>>
> To continue from this "label" property idea I was wondering if we
> would add it as new optional(?) file node for IIO devices.>
> One could then specify it like:
>
> tscadc: tscadc@44e0d000 {
>     compatible = "ti,am3359-tscadc";
>     am335x_adc: adc {
>         compatible = "ti,am3359-adc";
>         label = "Port A";
>     };
> };
>
> And this would generate file /sys/bus/iio/iio:deviceX/label with
> contents of "Port A".
>
> Then during the application startup it would just need to scan all
> devices under /sys/bus/iio and determine what labelled device it
> wants to use.
>
> It would be up to device's developer to determine what labels to use
> in their designs. This would not break ABI and would be just an
> extension for it.
>
> One could also auto-assign label "am335x_adc" in this case too. But
> if you include existing arch device tree then changing label in top
> level is kinda a bit annoying as you would then need to duplicate all
> properties with another label and disable arch device tree's
> settings. Could cause also conflict if there are references elsewhere
> to existing arch nodes.
>
> Having following in device's device tree file would allow one to
> override label or just only specify that.
>
> #include "am33xx.dtsi"
>
> &tscadc {
>     status = "okay";
>
>     adc {
>         ti,adc-channels = <4 5 6 7>;
>
>         label = "Port A";
>     };
> };
>
> I think this "label" model would be simple to understand.
>
> Whether this needs to be implemented as per device driver feature or
> could be implemented as generic IIO functionality I do not know.
The principal looks good to me.  It's not however only an IIO issue
so perhaps we should expand the discussion to include other subsystems
likely to have similar issues (though perhaps to a lesser degree) such as
hwmon and input?  Any others?

We could also autobuild the label from other sources such as ACPI
to uniquely describe the instance of the device (afterall all we really
care about is that it always has the same name on the same hardware,
being able to assign meaningful simple names would just be the icing
on the cake!)

Jonathan