Re: [RFC] Architecture independent pcibios?

On Tue, Oct 08, 2013 at 09:28:55PM +0100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-10-08 at 11:55 -0500, Rob Herring wrote:
>
> > > I wonder if pci_process_bridge_OF_ranges() would fit somewhere in
> > > drivers/of?  The implementations I looked at are mostly concerned with
> > > parsing OF resources, and they don't have much to do with PCI
> > > directly.
> >
> > This was being done until Ben weighed in:
> >
> > https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/5/4/103
>
> Well, I proposed an alternative (better) approach which I of course had
> no time to actually implement yet :-)

In order to avoid any confusion, could you please point me again to the
relevant message(s) where you proposed your approach?

> I have done the changes I needed to do to powerpc
> pci_process_bridge_OF_ranges so it would be possible to move that now to
> a generic place, but I still think it's not a great idea. It means the
> pci_controller structure with its resources will have to become generic
> which somewhat overlaps with the pci_host_bridge that Bjorn introduced,
> so that's really not great.
>
> I still think an arch with DT and simpler PCI code that powerpc could
> start looking at the transition to a better model that I hinted at...

As tempting as it is to start anew and with a cleaner code, I am wary
that porting the existing platforms to the new code will take longer
that way. My intentions are to make the (probably infrequent) task of
adding a new architecture to the PCI infrastructure a simple and
straighforward task. But adding code for my platform is no guarantee
that new ones will have an easier job.

Best regards,
Liviu

--