Re: new cpu iteration code...

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 3:29 AM, Rob Herring <robherring2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 3:29 PM, David Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> From: Rob Herring <robherring2@xxxxxxxxx>
>> Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 15:13:35 -0500

>>> Can't you simply do something like this for the search:
>>>
>>>       cpus = of_find_node_by_path("/cpus");
>>>       if (!cpus && IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_SPARC))
>>>               cpus = of_find_node_by_path("/");
>>>       if (!cpus) {
>>>               pr_warn("Missing cpus node, bailing out\n");
>>>               return NULL;
>>>       }
>>>
>>>       for_each_child_of_node(cpus, cpun) {
>>
>> This doesn't work either Rob.  Some UltraSPARC-IV systems put the cpu
>> nodes under directories representing the cores.
>
> Okay. Good to know.
>
>> For the third time, the only thing which will work unilaterally is
>> the type base iterator I proposed above.
>
> Now that I understand all the variations, I agree.
>
>> Why is there so much resistence to something which has an extremely
>> high likelyhood of working everywhere and not requiring any ifdef
>> crapola?
>
> Simplifying Sudeep's code a bit while maintaining some level of
> validation of the DT layout was my only goal. I guess that validation
> really needs to be at build time rather than boot time and there is
> some work going on in that area.

Still need a solution here in short order. Sundeep, are you working on
a fixup patch?

I can remove the warning as a short term fix, but to make the function
useful generally then there needs to be a way for the architecture to
tell the core what property name to use for CPU ids. The ugly powerpc
exception that is in there should be reworked at the same time.

g.