Re: [RFC] binding for nvec mfd device

On 09/23/2013 08:52 AM, Marc Dietrich wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 17. September 2013, 15:48:12 schrieb Stephen Warren:
>> On 09/17/2013 01:53 AM, Marc Dietrich wrote:
>>> Hi Stephen,

>>> thinking a little more about this, this is way to complicated.
>>
>> Really, this seems extremely simple to me.
>>
>>> "Master" and
>>> "Slave" functions are properties of the same i2c controller. Therefore,
>>> just adding a small property to the i2c controller node saying "enable
>>> slave support" is sufficient, as all the resources are shared (which is
>>> another good argument that it is the same device, hence same node). I
>>> would just add the slave i2c address, which is all the slave driver
>>> needs, e.g.
>>
>> Perhaps so for this one controller, but we should strive to create a
>> binding style that can work with any I2C controller that can be master
>> or slave. For a general binding, I think we need to support multiple
>> slave addresses. The style above seems to support that with little
>> complexity.
>
> I have no idea how other implementations may look like. The downstream kernel
> seems to program the slave address in a secondary step after the controller is
> initialized [1]. So every "client" which binds to the slave driver can use its
> own address, but only one client at the same time is allowed. As said before,
> the may also exist devices (!tegra) with multiple slave addresses at the same
> time.
>
> Your approach above seems fulfill these properties (what about a single slave
> controller without a master?),

There would simply be a node for the controller, and a single child node
for the slave setup, and no child nodes for mastered devices.

> but it will be tricky for the slave to find the
> controller resources it needs.

I don't understand this. The resources are only needed by I2C driver,
and all come from the I2C driver node. If the I2C driver ends up being
split into separate master/slave portions, that information can easily
be passed from the main driver probe()/... to those other sub-parts of
the driver.

> I'm thinking of an insane (but valid)
> configuration where all i2c ports of the SoC are connected together and one
> port plays the master and all others are slaves. In this case we need to add a
> property to the slave node which points to his controller instance.

Why do the slave nodes care where they're mastered from?

I think you'd just have the following

/* master */
i2c@xxxxx {
    foo@0x40 {
        reg = <MASTER 0x40>;
        compatible = "nvidia,nvec";
    }
};

i2c@yyyy {
    foo@40 {
        reg = <SLAVE 0x40>;
        compatible = "nvidia,nvec-slave";
    }
};

There's no need for the slave child node to know that it is mastered
from the Tegra I2C controller; all it cares about is that there is some
I2C bus that it needs to respond to transactions upon.