Re: passing two interrupts two an I2C driver

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 05:09:34PM +0100, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 08/19/2013 02:42 AM, Mark Rutland wrote:

> >> When using interrupt-parent to point at an interrupt map, I believe you
> >> usually just point at the current node; there's no need to a child node.

> >> So, this node isn't required.

> >> There are no addressed entities in this node, so I don't see why those
> >> two properties are needed.

> >> It's up to the binding for the node referenced by the phandle to define
> >> how many cells need be present for "flags", and their meaning. This
> >> binding shouldn't attempt to describe those. Equally, the concept of
> >> interrupt-map should be defined elsewwere (e.g.
> >> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/interrupt-controller/interrupts.txt);
> >> it's a generic that shouldn't need duplication in each binding that uses
> >> interrupts.

> >> The presence or lack of interrupt support should be driven by the
> >> presence of the interrupts property. interrupt-map should only be used
> >> (if present) to assist in the parsing of the interrupts property.

> >> Indeed. I think it would be better to work as follows:
> >>
> >> interrupts: contains one or two interrupt specifiers. The first entry
> >> always defines the data ready interrupt. The second entry, if present,
> >> defines the threshold event interrupt. This at least allows the
> >> following combinations to be very simple expressed:
> >>
> >> * no interrrupts
> >> * just data
> >> * both data and threshold (assuming they're routed to the same parent)
> >>
> >> (you could swap the order if it's likely to be more common to have just
> >> a threshold interrupt without any data interrupt).
> >>
> >> In order to allow the presence of a threshold interrupt but no data
> >> interrupt, then I think you would need interrupt-map:
> >>
> >> lps331ap: lps331ap@5d {
> >> 	compatible = "st,lps331ap";
> >> 	reg = <0x5d>;
> >> 	interrupt-parent = <&lps331ap>;
> >> 	interrupts = <0>, <1>;
> >> 	interrupt-map =	<0 0>, /* nowhere */
> >> 			<1 &gpf0 6 0>;
> >> };
> >
> > The interrupt-names property exists for this purpose (describing
> > interrupts which may or may not be present). Describing a nonexistent
> > interrupt and mapping it nowhere feels like a hack to me when we can
> > describe exactly what's present.
>
> But the rules for interrupts basically precludes the useful use of
> interrupt-names.
>
> The interrupts property was introduced long before interrupt-names. As
> such, the rule was always that entries in interrupts had to appear at a
> specific index in the property, in other words, the property had to be
> in a specific order, and there's no way of missing entries out.

Ok, so for bindings that existed before reg-names, and never mentioned
reg-names, indexed accesses to reg entries must always be used.

> The interrupt-names property was added much later and more as a
> documentation for the order in *.dts than as the primary lookup key.
> Even with an interrupt-names property present, the order of entries in
> interrupts is still fixed.
>
> So, using interrupt-names doesn't allow you to have optional entries in
> interrupts, nor re-order the property. We really should not have added
> interrupt-names, since it gives false impressions.

I'm not sure why that has to be true for new bindings. The new bindings
were never used before the existence of reg-names, so it doesn't seem so
bad for the new bindings to require the use of reg-names, or to define
some optional usage of reg-names.

> For newer bindings such as clocks/clock-names, clock-names is the
> primary lookup key, so things can be optional.

I don't see why a new class of bindings is that different from new
instances of bindings in this regard.

> We should document which properties are purely looked up by index, and
> which properties have a useful *-names property associated with them as
> the primary lookup key.

Certainly, but I think this can be more fine-grained than "all clock
propeties may use clock-names semantically, all reg properties may not
use reg-names semantically".

Thanks,
Mark.