Re: [RFC] Best practices for hardware shipping device trees

Hey Tom,

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 11:13:45AM -0400, Tom Rini wrote:
> Do we have a document yet talking about the best practices for how we
> would like a hardware vendor to ship, store and possibly update a device
> tree, on the hardware?  "However they like" seems likely to invite
> problems down the line with everyone trying their own thing.  Thanks!

Speaking from my experience with the Marvell SoCs and after market
installation of mainline code (bootloaders, kernel, etc), I can say what
I'd like to see, if that helps ;-)

  1) individually upgradable (bootloader, dtb, config, kernel, etc)
      - separate flash partitions for each

  2) bootloader uses as well as passes off the dtb
      - Good for scenarios where user wants to modify flash partitions,
        he would only need to update the dtb.
      - facilitates fixes after deployment since dtb not bound to
        bootloader.

I'm sure there's more, but those jumped to mind when I read your
question.

thx,

Jason.