Re: Device tree usage in TF-A & OP-Tee consultation

On Mon, Jun 12, 2023 at 10:29 PM Yi Chou <yich@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, Linux device tree maintainers,

devicetree-spec is not Linux specific.

> I am writing to you today to request a review of some custom device
> tree bindings that we have developed. These bindings are not used by
> the Linux kernel, but they are used by OP-TEE[1], a secure execution
> environment for embedded systems.
>
> We have placed these bindings under the "chosen" node in the device
> tree, as suggested by Jeffrey Kardatzke.[2]
> The full bindings path would be "chosen/widevine/{tpm-auth-pk, huk,
> widevine-dice, widevine-ta-key}".

I would advise against using /chosen as it is pretty much geared to be
consumed by a single client (typically "the OS"). Instead, /options
node[1] may be a better option which is what we did for u-boot
configuration. It somewhat depends on what components consume the DT.
If the DT is only ever going to be consumed by OP-TEE, then using
/chosen is probably fine. However, if say TF-A and OP-TEE use the same
DT, then you have 2 components to configure.

> We would like to have our bindings reviewed by a device tree
> maintainer to ensure that they are correct. We would also like to get
> your feedback on the best way to document these bindings.
>
> Thank you for your time and consultation.
>
> Sincerely,
> Yi
>
> [1]: https://github.com/OP-TEE/optee_os
> [2]: https://review.trustedfirmware.org/c/TF-A/trusted-firmware-a/+/20442

I don't see any bindings here. Am I supposed to study the code to
figure out the binding? Please write a binding doc/schema if you want
it reviewed.

Rob

[1] https://github.com/devicetree-org/dt-schema/blob/main/dtschema/schemas/options.yaml