Re: Device Tree Evolution Project - call notes - 12th February

On 2/19/20 12:05 PM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Hey Frank,
>
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 11:24:59AM -0600, Frank Rowand wrote:
>> On 2/13/20 8:50 AM, Steve McIntyre wrote:

>>> 2. Bootloader applied overlays
>>>    a. https://github.com/wmamills/dt-overlays
>>>       1. BM: Good discussion on the list. Is this a new agreement on
>>>          accepting overlays in the kernel? Is there still a laundry
>>>          list of issues?
>>>       2. RH: Whilst we agree it’s the right place last time it was
>>>          submitted I gave feedback and it was never acted on. If
>>>          splitting to base and overlays need a way to get back to what
>>>          you previously had.
>>>       3. BM: Do you want to mash base and overlays together. I think
>>>          we tried to upstream that and it was rejected.
>>>       4. RH: Just need to change DTB format first … (Frank)
>>
>> That matches my memory of wanting to update the DTB format before allowing
>> overlay sources into the kernel tree.  BUT, it has been two years (I
>> think) of small bursts of discussion about DTB format with little
>> forward progress.  I had hoped to revive the DTB format discussion in
>> December or January, but now it is already February.  Maybe I will get
>> to it this month.
>>
>> The biggest change since then is that overlays can be applied by the
>> bootloader (at least I think that was implemented after my objection).
>> That alone is enough to change my opinion.  But on top of that, the
>> long delay on DTB format update also changes my opinion.
>
> Do you have any pointers to previous discussions about the format
> update please? The only relevant things I can find are in the thread
> "DTBO magic and dtbo format options" but that's back in the middle of
> 2016.

Documenting all the previous proposals in one place is the next item
on my todo list after finishing my "why I don't want .dts to move out
of the kernel tree" document.  Once the format discussion history
document exists then I intend to restart the discussion on the mail
lists.

-Frank