Device Tree Evolution Project - call notes - 20th November

Hey folks,

I'm sharing the notes from our regular meeting that was held today. We
continued discussion around our two main topics: System DT and how to
work with a new/shared repo for DT data.

More details about the meeting etc. at the end.

Attendees
=========

SteveM - Arm
ArndB - Linaro
BillM - TI
GrantL - Arm
LoicP - ST
MarkB - Arm
MathieuP - Linaro
RobH - Arm
SaravanaK - Google
TrikokS - Qualcomm
vingu - ???

Notes
=====

1. Meeting time
   a. Apologies received from Xilinx folks - they have an internal
      meeting that clashed today
   b. Meeting time - will have an occasionalt clash with TF board
      meetings, doesn't seem to be a better option

2. Stefano posted initial bindings patches for System DT
   (https://lists.openampproject.org/pipermail/system-dt/2019-November/000001.html)

3. Steve has been prodding other DT-using projects to get engagement
   and feedback
   a. U-Boot, FreeBSD, Zephyr, (who else?)

4. Alexandre starting work on DT ID at runtime (DTE-11) after design
   discussion last week

5. Steve looking into things to hack on himself

6. Mark promising to look into using kernelCI to help us with DT
   testing

7. No response from Frank since last meeting on the dt-spec list -
   assuming he's busy

8. Little progress on the movement for the separate repo
   a. Maybe time to let that go for now? Come back later...

9. Need to get going on the other initiatives. Priorities as stated by
   Bill:
   a. DT for RTOS (DTE-14)
   b. applying overlays in the bootloader (part of DTE-16)
      1. Want to do that without redesigning the world?
      2. Bill will look to see if he can find somebody to help with
         this, otherwise Steve will probably dive in
      3. Looking at doing the Android-style split, apply overlays from
         boot in FW?
      4. More tooling needed in this area - see discussion on the
         lists (TI, Frank?) over a year ago - patch set from Tero
         Kristo
         [https://lore.kernel.org/linux-devicetree/1535459532-17211-1-git-send-email-t-kristo@xxxxxx/]

Next call Wed 04 Deceember

Background information about DTE
================================

Linaro engineers are working on a range of initiatives in the DT
space, collected together as a project called Device Tree Evolution
(DTE). We hold a discussion call every second Wednesday at
1700 GMT / 1200 EST / 0900 PST. If you would like to be invited, please
ask me (Steve McIntyre).

This is a summary of the notes from the most recent meeting. I aim to
tidy up and post the meeting notes shortly after each meeting. The raw
notes are published at

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vRVDrVFWjIOascqZFCO--T8pIqyFB_MDh9cvgyoqhI6Y0tqaA9TcCcvQhcmxi5IY7CG44JfIrCdAUDL/pub

For more information about DTE, see:

 * https://www.linaro.org/engineering/core/devicetree-evolution/