Re: Cell-index?

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 8:14 AM Kumar Gala <kumar.gala@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Does anyone know where cell-index came from?  If it was ever documented somewhere?
>
> I went looking at some old specs like ePAPR 1.1 and open firmware but couldn’t find it.

I was trying to find that too as folks love to have indices for their
devices. booting-without-of.txt has some info. It appears it is
supposed to represent an index into some shared resource such as an
offset into some shared register. That hardly scales nor is it what
people want to use it for.

Here's the part from booting-without-of.txt:

VIII - Specifying Device Power Management Information (sleep property)
Devices on SOCs often have mechanisms for placing devices into low-power
states that are decoupled from the devices' own register blocks.  Sometimes,
this information is more complicated than a cell-index property can
reasonably describe.  Thus, each device controlled in such a manner
may contain a "sleep" property which describes these connections.

Rob