Re: Linux Plumbers v18 DT-format followup

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 04:29:23PM -0800, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> We had a discussion today about a possible new v18 DT format[1]
>
> You have seen Frank Rowand's design from January[2]. Frank presented
> material at the conference[3] and I wrote up something up too [4].

Yes, I didn't like the original proposal very much - overly
complicated, but the revised one I suggested back looks reasonably
do-able.

Your proposal seems to have a rather different focus from Frank's -
his is mostly about cleaner handling of overlays and similar
extensions.  Yours is mostly about size.

Can I ask what's the concern here?  I mean, first of all, I'm finding
it a bit hard to believe that a few kiB of device tree really mean
much in the context of a vaguely modern system.  But more specifically
is the concern in-memory size?  Or size on persistent storage, disk or
flash?  Those two would be amenable to different approaches to
mitigate.

> Obviously this is a big undertaking and there is no guarantee it will
> go anywhere, nor that everyone will agree.

So, looking at your document, really the only approach that seems
likely to be worth the trouble from the numbers you present is (B).
Although for (B), I'm not quite sure how you're encoding things not to
disallow cases that we do actually want to support.  (J) seems like it
might be an interesting approach, coupled with a variant of (B),
although the numbers you give aren't too promising.

(F) & (G) involve changing not just the dt encoding, but its content.
That means changes to the clients and is therefore a vastly bigger
undertaking than just changing the encoding format.

> But one thing that became apparent is that it is likely that a few
> parts of the libfdt API might become tricky to support. For example,
> those that return a struct fdt_property are exposing the internals of
> the DTB format.

Hm, yes, exposing struct fdt_property that way does limit our options,
although it has some nice properties elswhere in the interface, which
is why it was included in the first place.

> Grant Likely suggested dealing with the API problems first so we can
> signal the potential changes. So I am thinking of taking a look at
> this and sending a few patches.
>
> What do you think?

Well, I guess I'll look at the patches and see.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson