Re: aliases node - valid char set?

> On Apr 11, 2018, at 11:44 PM, David Gibson <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 09:26:18AM -0500, Kumar Gala wrote:

>>> I'm pretty sure that limitation goes all the way back to IEEE1275,
>>> though I'm not sure of the rationale.  Even if the set was widened you
>>> couldn't really have an emoji since an alias - like all node names -
>>> is a bag-o'-bytes, not a Unicode string.
>>
>> Any reason not to update the spec and allow alias names to be
>> treated the same as any property name?
>
> Well, I don't think they should allow anything more than node names,
> rather than property names, although I think the two are identical at
> the moment.  The reason is that aliases can appear in paths
> "alias/foo/bar" so we don't want to expand the set of valid path
> characters.
>
> The only printable character I can immediately see as being a definite
> problem is '/'.
>
> Back in the OF days there might have been more restrictions based on
> special characters in the Forth environment, to prevent paths with
> aliases being confused for something else.  Not sure.

Matching the char set for node names seems reasonable to me.

>> I was joking about the emoji bit.
>
> I thought you probably were :)
>
> I would turn the question around a bit, though: do we have a
> compelling reason to expand the set.  Aliases are kind of like
> identifiers and usually languages work best if identifiers have
> characters taken from a fairly small set.

Mostly we seem to use ‘_’ in a lot of .dts files and figured I’d raise the discussion on the topic.  Since we started warning about it, wanted to see what direction we might want to take.

- k--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe devicetree-spec" in