Re: Devicetree Schema Checking Prototype

Hi all,

I've been busy working on the DT schema again the last few weeks. I've
now got DT schema checking working and integrated into the DT binding
repository[1] using the tools in the yaml-bindings repo. This gives us
end to end functionality on the full tree of dts files validated
against binding schema docs (albeit limited checks currently).

As part of this I've worked on some tooling to help automate
converting the existing binding documents to yaml. This works pretty
well even with free form text input because most files follow the same
structure. It's not perfect, but helps fill in some of the
boilerplate. The script is called doc2yaml and can fill in the doc
title, description and example for bindings that follow this form:

SOF
Title text

Some lines of description

*properties:

example[s]:

some-node {

};
EOF

On top of this, I wrote a second tool called dt-prop-populate that can
fill in some of the property schema using the dts files as input. The
top 2 commits in the DT repository are the output of these 2 scripts.
I've committed the output because they are fairly slow to run.

To run all this, in addition to the yaml-bindings repo Grant listed
below, you need the DT binding repo[1] and dtc with yaml output[2].
Then run either of the 2 make targets:

# Check binding files
make checkbindings

# Check dts files against schema
make DTC=path/to/dtc checkdt

For next steps, I want to document and finalize the binding schema
format for review. The top level part is pretty straightforward. For
example, see [3]. It's all standard json schema keywords with the
addition of "maintainers" and possibly "historical". It's really the
property schemas that need some work. They are dependent on the DT
yaml encoding. Currently, integers are always encoded as a matrix even
for a single cell. For example, #size-cells looks like this:

'#size-cells': [[1]]

This is makes for verbose json schema just to say '#size-cells must be 1":

'#size-cells':
  type: array
  items:
    - type: array
      items:
        - const: 1
      minItems: 1
      additionalItems: false
  minItems: 1
  additionalItems: false

Perhaps we can generate everything except the "const: 1" part. The
downside is complexity of the validation script and execution time.
Just loading all the schema files as-is is already slow. This also
highlights how the binding schema format is tightly coupled to the DT
yaml encoding.

Rob

[1] https://github.com/robherring/devicetree-rebasing.git yaml-bindings
[2] https://github.com/robherring/dtc.git yaml-bindings