Re: Next steps for schema language

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 9:41 AM, Pantelis Antoniou
<pantelis.antoniou@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
>> On Nov 3, 2017, at 16:31 , Rob Herring <robh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 9:11 AM, Pantelis Antoniou
>> <pantelis.antoniou@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hi Rob,

>>> I’ve run into this as the first problem with validation using compatible properties.
>>>
>>> The way I’ve solved it is by having a ‘selected’ property that is generating
>>> a test for when to check a binding against a node.
>>
>> Okay, but what's the "jsonschema way" to do this is my question really.
>>

> No idea :)
>
> DT is weird enough that there might not be a way to describe this in
> a regular jsonschema form. I would wait until Grant pitches in.

I've played around with things a bit and the more I do the less happy
I am with jsonschema. Maybe this is not what Grant has in mind, but
here's the snippet of the compatible check I have:

properties:
  compatible:
      Compatible strings for the board example.

    type: array
    items:
      type: string
      oneOf:
        - enum:
          - "example,board"
          - "example,board2"
        - enum:
          - "example,soc"

First, it is more verbose than I'd like and not a language immediately
intuitive to low-level C developers (at least for me). My first
mistake was that *Of values have to be schema objects when I really
want logic ops for values. Second, the constraints are not complete
and and I've not come up with how you would express them. Essentially,
we need to express at least one of each set is required and
"example,soc" must be last. I suppose we can come up with custom
expressions, but it seems to me that if we can't even express a simple
example like this with standard jsonschema then it is not a good
choice.

Don't take this as we should use eBPF either. Given the reasoning so
far for picking it, I'm not sold on it. Seems like a nice shiny hammer
looking for a problem.

Rob