Re: [Ksummit-discuss] Devicetree Workshop at Kernel Summit Prague (26 Oct 2017)

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Ian Lepore <ian@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-10-17 at 14:48 +0100, Grant Likely wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Boris Brezillon
>> <boris.brezillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello Grant,

>> > Not sure yet if I'll attend the DT workshop or not, but I thought I
>> > could ask my question here because it might be of interest to someone
>> > else who is attending.
>> >
>> > What happens when the DT bindings is not documented in Linux but in an
>> > another project because this project was the first to use it.
>> >
>> > I had the case here http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/810275/, and I'm
>> > not sure what's the policy when this happens. Should we add a file
>> > under Documentation/devicetree/bindings/... that points to the external
>> > doc file, should we duplicate the DT bindings doc in Linux, or should
>> > we just leave the bindings undocumented in the kernel tree?
>> I'm going to add this as a topic. I've got my own opinion, but it
>> would be better to discuss in the room because it affects maintainers.
>>
>> g.
>

> I've run into the same thing in FreeBSD.  We use bindings and dts
> files, exacted periodically from the linux tree and imported into ours,
> for all modern arm boards/systems.  Several times I've created drivers
> for small things like i2c RTC chips that aren't supported currently by
> linux, and it's not clear to me that it's even possible to submit
> bindings and dts for them back upstream without also submitting a linux
> driver that uses them (which of course I'm not in a position to do).

I will happily take bindings and would like to dispel this myth. Send
them to the DT list and just make it clear there's no Linux driver so
I know to pick it up if any subsystem maintainers won't (though I'd
suspect that most will). dts files are a bit more complicated as I
generally don't take those. But please force the issue. If no
non-Linux developer submits dts changes, then it is certainly true
that dts changes aren't accepted.

Rob