Re: [Ksummit-discuss] Devicetree Workshop at Kernel Summit Prague (26 Oct 2017)

Am Montag, 16. Oktober 2017, 17:40:57 CEST schrieb Ben Dooks:
> On 16/10/17 06:36, Michal Simek wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 9.10.2017 22:39, Grant Likely wrote:
> >> Kernel Summit is now just over 2 weeks away and it is time to pull
> >> together the schedule for the Devicetree workshop. Originally I
> >> planned on just an afternoon, but I've got the room for the whole day,
> >> so I've got a lot of flexibility on the schedule. Unscheduled time can
> >> be used for hacking.
> >>
> >> Date: 26 Oct 2017
> >> Time: 9:00am-5:30pm (Lunch from 12:30-2:30)
> >> Location: Athens room - Hilton Prague
> >>
> >> If you plan to attend, make sure you update your OSSunmitE/ELCE
> >> registration to include the DT Workshop (log in to access and modify
> >> your registration):
> >>
> >> https://www.regonline.com/register/login.aspx?eventID=1883377&MethodId=0&;
> >> EventsessionId=&Email_Address=&membershipID=
> >>
> >> Here is my current list of topics in no particular order, including
> >> the topic moderator:
> >>
> >> Runtime memory consumption (Rob Herring)
> >> Overlay maintenance plan (TBC)
> >> Stable ABI for devicetree (TBC)
> >> DT YAML encoding (Pantelis Antoniou)
> >> DT Schema format - option 1 (Pantelis Antoniou)
> >> DT Schema format - option 2 (Grant Likely)
> >> Sharing Generic bindings (TBC)
> >> devicetree.org update (Grant)

> >> Reply privately if there is a particular topic you want to attend but
> >> you are unable to be there in the morning or afternoon. I'll put the
> >> actual agenda together a week out from the event.
> >
> > I would like to talk how to add support for AArch32 based on arm64 dts
> > file.
> >
> > And next topic is discuss criteria for adding new DTS board files to
> > kernel for supporting custom boards especially for arm32 which can end
> > up with a lot of dts files in this folder.
> > If make sense to permit only boards with something new or just enable
> > reference boards to go in.
>
> I am interested in this, as we seem to be repeating the quantity
> issue with the board file of having many .dts sources in the kernel.
>
> I'm not sure how to deal with this, on one hand only having the
> reference (and possibly popular) boards is going to keep the size
> down. On the other hand out of tree .dts files are going to be
> difficult to find (or vanish with the vendor).
>
> It seems we are still no closer to having a DT repository outside
> the kernel.

There exists
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/devicetree/devicetree-rebasing.git/

While the in-kernel sources are still the authoritative ones, you can
at least get a feel for what an out-of-tree repo would feel like.