Re: Virtualization difficulty -- phandles

On 7/14/2017 3:58 AM, Mark Rutland wrote:

Would it be possible to add metadata properties to the binary FDT
format, which would identify other property cells that are in fact
phandles? It could be a per-node property or a single root node
property, up to you guys. DTC would then automatically generate the
metadata property along with the phandle property when compiling the
DTS.

Unfortunately, even ignoring the above, this metadata isn't likely to be
reliable, as after compilation, other agents (e.g. the bootloader) may
modify the FDT, without updating the metadata that they are not aware
of.

Well, it depends on the design of said metadata. For example, imagine a node property named ".dependencies", which simply lists all phandles referenced by other properties in the same node. I would be very surprised if the bootloader does something that breaks that. It would require a major intervention into the FDT.

Even if they do, like I said in my reply to David, we don't strive to achieve a full automation, so it's probably tolerable. Oh well, we've missed some dependencies. It's still better than what we have now.

--
Cyril