Re: device tree verification tools

Julia Lawall <julia.lawall@xxxxxxx> writes:
> On Thu, 4 Aug 2016, Stewart Smith wrote:
>
>> Julia Lawall <julia.lawall@xxxxxxx> writes:
>> > I saw that there will be a microconference on device trees at Linux
>> > Plumbers.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend, due to another event
>> > at the same time, but I was wondering what is the status of verification
>> > tools for device tree specifications?
>>
>> For a few checks that we want to do for OpenPower systems, we've been
>> adding tests to the FirmWare Test Suite (FWTS)
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FirmwareTestSuite - which does actually catch a
>> case where we messed it up and have something that's technically invalid
>> (i.e. we could have used this a couple of years ago when the mistake was
>> initially made).
>
> Thanks for the information.  Is it easy to see in there what tests are
> done?

You can have a look at the FWTS source, there's some specific DT tests
there (we have one to ensure that when somebody creates a new machine,
they change the model name in the device tree from the reference
platform model name). Since FWTS uses the same device tree code as
everywhere, it's not too hard to follow, and the test report from FWTS
is pretty clear (and you can tell it to just run some tests).

--
Stewart Smith
OPAL Architect, IBM.