Re: case sensitivity for devicetree node names

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 10:29:35PM -0700, Frank Rowand wrote:
> On 06/13/16 22:10, David Gibson wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 08:53:37PM -0700, Frank Rowand wrote:
> >> On 06/13/16 18:10, David Gibson wrote:
>
> < snip >

> >> I think that the kernel should match the current behavior of dtc.
> >>
> >> I agree with "1)".
> >>
> >> I don't think that "2)" is required.  I think it is a really dumb idea for
> >> anyone to create a dts with node names that differ only in case.  But I
> >> don't think it is the compiler's job to protect people from being dumb.
> >> An analogue would be the C language and compilers.  The C compiler doesn't
> >> error on a program that has variables "foo" and "Foo".
> >
> > Hmm.. actually I think protecting you from being dumb is exactly the
> > purpose of compiler warnings.  Now that you found that quote from
> > 1275, which is pretty definitive as far as I'm concerned, I'd expect
> > to reduce that error to a warning (by default).
>
> A warning is ok by me.

Ok, I'll implement that when I get a chance.

Note that in most cases there's no fundamental distinction between dtc
errors and dtc warnings - it's just a question of whether they're
flagged as "error" or "warning" level in the check table.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson