Re: st_fdma: Firmware filename in DT?

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015, Peter Griffin wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Sep 2015, Lee Jones wrote:

> > > This is a really good point and one I'd not considered.

> > > So to summarise, I think given Daniels good points about ABI
> > > compatability, and also David and Arnd PoV, it would be best to leave
> > > the generation of the firmware filename to the individual driver and
> > > not put the filename in DT.
> >
> > <hijacking>
> >
> > That doesn't work for middle-layer drivers such as Remoteproc, where
> > it doesn't have its own associated firmwares.  Remoteproc's job is
> > simply to load the firmware.  It doesn't care which version of the ABI
> > that particular binary uses, and has no reason to.  Ideally, I guess
> > the Remoteproc client should be providing the firmware name, but why
> > should the client care who or what was used to load the firmware?
>
> I believe you answered your own question...
>
> In your case, I believe it should be the client driver which wishes to
> use rproc to boot the co-processor which provides the name.
>
> For example a v4l2 driver which wishes to use the st231-deltamu
> co-processor, and requests rproc to boot that CPU with a supplied
> firmware name. The v4l2 driver has the knowledge to know it wishes to
> use the st231 for video decoding, and can provide a unique name based
> on its compatible (what SoC etc) it is with an approriate suffix / prefix.
>
> This nicely also handles the
>
> "The hardware is identical, and different firmware is used to apply
>    it in different ways."
>
> which David pointed out.
>
> Say you now wish to use that st231 for some other general
> accelerator usecase, and have client driver X, then X can provide
> a suitable unique name to rproc.
>
> To accomodate that usecase with the filename in DT would require changing DT
> to provide a new filename. Obviously the hardware hasn't changed, just the
> way in which you wish to apply it.
>
> This also solves the issue Daniel pointed out about the name being
> sufficiently unique to allow multiple STi SoC's to use the same
> userspace, which your current approach does not.
>
> To answer your question, the client should care about the filename
> because it is the client which wishes to use the services of the firimware
> and is in a unique position to know what that firmware is called.
> As you point out, rproc is not in that position.

You're preaching to the converted.  I agree with all of this, which is
why I said:

"Ideally, I guess the Remoteproc client should be providing the
firmware name"

... but you missed the critical part of my query:

"but why should the client care who or what was used to load the
firmware?"

At the moment the client has no other way (besides DT) to tell
Remoteproc (or any other firmware loader) which firmware binary to
load.  To solve this, we would have to call load_firmware(name)
[which doesn't exist yet], from the client, into either the core or
the vendor driver.

--
Lee Jones
Linaro STMicroelectronics Landing Team Lead