Re: st_fdma: Firmware filename in DT?

On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 04:45:35PM -0500, Rob Herring wrote:
> +devicetree-spec as a good question to separate from the fire hose.
>
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 9:49 AM, Peter Griffin <peter.griffin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Rob, Pawel, Mark, Ian and Kumar,
> >
> > Quick question regarding this series here
> > https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/7/8/832. and the proposed
> > st,fw-name binding.
>
> Thanks for looking at the bigger picture.
>
> > What are the rules with putting firmware names into DT?
>
> Whatever you can sneak in without DT maintainers noticing...
>
> > Is it allowed?
>
> They are already there as you have found, so yes. But should they be
> allowed? Possibly. I'm not saying no, but do have some concerns.

I think this is a genuine edge case.  A firmware name isn't strictly
speaking hardware description, but if the names exist in some "well
known" OS independent namespace, then it's a reasonable thing to be
specified in the device tree.

That said, I have some concerns on points, see later replies to the thread.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson