Re: devicetree repository separation/migration

On Thu, 2014-02-20 at 08:14 +0000, Grant Likely wrote:
> >> The other argument is shared source between
> >> BSD/U-Boot/Barebox/Linux/etc. Until we have a separate .dts repo there

                            ^/Xen ;-)

> >> is no good way to share the database of hardware descriptions.
> >
> > We could provide an easy export (see below).  What do you think?
>
> Ian Campbell is already maintaining an export tree as a staging area
> for an eventual split. He's had it up and running for almost a year
> now:
>
> http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=people/ianc/device-tree-rebasing.git

NB, per the name it is potentially rebasing, effectively until if/when
it becomes the primary. In practice it hasn't been rebased since the
early days while I was sorting out the translations.

I've got an open action to move it somewhere other than xenbits,
probably git.kernel.org unless someone can supply a more neutral place.

WRT people wanting a more staged transition rather than a flag day: I
think I could tweaking things to rewrite each arch onto its own branch,
which could all be merged up into a single master branch. Then as $ARCH
moves over to using device.tree.git rather than linux.git as their
primary location for DTS we can simply drop the conversion for that
branch and start accepting patches onto master. I think doing anything
more fine-grained than per-arch would be tricky, at least to do
automagically.

Ian.