Re: devicetree repository separation/migration

On 2/19/2014 1:15 PM, Grant Likely wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 8:16 PM, Frank Rowand <frowand.list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> One of the reasons for doing devicetrees is to separate the hardware
>>> description from the code so that:
>>> - Other OSes (and bootloaders) can use the same description to start on
>>>   a given hardware
>>> - A generic Kernel can be started on any hardware
>>> - A hardware describes itself, makes itself more introspecitve so we can
>>>   go away from very specialized kernels
>>
>> Tim knows this ^^^^.  He was asking for the arguments for moving dts files
>> out of the linux kernel source tree.
>
> We've made the decision that devicetree bindings need to be treated as
> ABI, but as long as the .dts files live in the kernel there will
> always be the temptation to just tweak things in lock-step and nobody
> will notice. Splitting the files out gives that extra push to think
> about whether changes to a binding will backwards compatible with a
> tree that doesn't have those changes because the chances are a lot
> higher that someone will hit that combination.

We have other ABI in the kernel.  The maintainers have to develop a
spine if they are letting the supposed ABI changes occur they way
you suggest.

I thought that the actions flowing out of Edinburgh were supposed to
move us in the direction of developing the ABI mentality, and the
process to allow development and experimentation to occur (with a
clear label that they were not yet ABI) then a way to decide that
the development of a devicetree binding was complete enough to be
ABI.