Re: devicetree repository separation/migration

On Feb 19, 2014, at 11:46 AM, Jason Cooper wrote:
> I think the long term health of the devicetree would benefit greatly
> from being more detached than it currently is.  It would force everyone
> to "Pay the bills".
>
> The time might not be right now, and it probably will take one of the
> more gradual forms Olof suggested.  But I think it should happen at some
> point to help it grow up.
>
> And we still have the short term problem of facilitating other projects
> use of the devicetree.  Which can only make it more robust and accepted
> by default.

I know it would be easier to import new device tree files into FreeBSD, and
support the latest version of the spec if there was a clean way of doing so.
Right now, with the files comingled with other files in the Linux tree it is harder
to do so than if they were stand-alone. Especially if the compiler could also
come from a near-by place.

Warner

P.S. I've been championing the use of fdt in FreeBSD for a few years now. I
am presently converting over all our Atmel support to use fdt, as well as
championing cross-SoC and cross-architecture use of fdt + gpio, fdt + i2c, etc.
Just so you know who I am, in case the name in unfamiliar to you...--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe devicetree-spec" in