Re: devicetree repository separation/migration

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:47:56AM -0800, Olof Johansson wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:18 AM, Jason Cooper <jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> I hope so since keeping the devicetrees in sync with the kernel is a
> >> pain for all external users.
> >
> > Well, I haven't heard any screams yet.  I suspect people are waiting for
> > details on the exact form it would take before complaining...
>
> I'M SCREAMING NOW. :-)

.:. I just pooped my pants. :)

> Honestly though, I think we need to do this carefully. Even though we
> don't like it, there are still lots of bindings in flux and
> cross-dependencies between two independent repos will be a major pain.

Agreed.

> I think we have two options:
>
> 1. Bring out everything in the current kernel repo to a separate one,
> but do it my mirroring over. Changes go into the kernel repo first and
> then comes over to this one, but other projects can mirror the
> standalone repo without downloading a whole kernel tree.

I prefer this one.  Assuming that a separate repo is mostly agreed upon,
this allows us to provide the tree in an easily digestible way without
impacting the current workflow.

Also, if it works for the other projects, no one says we have to move
beyond this step.

> 2. Remove the kernel contents and move it over to the new repo. This
> should be done independently for each platform, and the maintainers
> get to decide if, when and how they do it. Some platforms are ready
> for it (some have been for a long time), others are not. And it's up
> to the maintainer, since they are the ones we will yell at when they
> make our life miserable by adding cross-dependencies with an external
> repo. Breakage due to the move is something we should have to put up
> with, etc.
>
> >> I'll likely need some barebox specific additions to the devicetrees.
> >> Right now our idea is to leave the provided devicetrees untouched and
> >> instead of compiling the board dts files directly we create
> >> <boardname>-barebox.dts files which include the original board files.
> >> That would allow us to provide additional information to barebox
> >> without having to carry patches for the devicetrees.
> >
> > So the resulting <boardname>-barebox.dtb is compiled into the barebox
> > binary?  Is the dtb passed to the kernel independently upgradeable?
> >
> > Why not post binding/dts patches for 'barebox,...' attributes that you
> > need?
>
> +1. These should ideally be posted and reviewed too -- maybe they make
> sense to share between barebox and other firmware stacks, for example.

Agreed, so is there anything preventing that from happening currently?

thx,

Jason.