Re: Testsuite failures on sparc64 due to unaligned access since 1.5.0

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 10:04:47AM +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 12/10/20 10:01 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> > I have not done any bisecting yet, but this is most likely a result of someone casting
> > a pointer of type A into a pointer of type B which is normally not allowed but unfortunately
> > also not something that gcc complains about.
>
> Hmm, it seems someone fixed the issue on git master already:

Right, alignment issues have been a perennial problem.  We find some
platform that has alignment constraints that break, fix that, then
someone finds the alignment fixups cause horrible performance
problems, repeat ad nauseum.

There's been another round of this pretty recently, which is probably
the cause of the fixup.  I just hope the re-optimizations that Tom
Rini has in his pipeline don't break things again for you.

				| _way_ _around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson

[Index of Archives]     [Device Tree]     [Device Tree Spec]     [Linux Driver Backports]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Yosemite Backpacking]