Re: dtc for .dts file linting

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 7:45 PM Frank Rowand <frowand.list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> On 7/31/19 7:46 AM, Paul Spooren wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I hope this mail reaches the correct people!
> >
> > At OpenWrt[0] there are sometimes badly styled .dts files which waste
> > human time to comment and fix, it would be nice to have some automatic
> > checks for that. Is there a tool like astyle or clang-format for device
> > tree files?
> The bindings documents are being converted into a json-schema vocabulary.
> Once in this format, the bindings to be used to validate .dts files.
> See section "##Testing" in the file Documentation/devicetree/writing-schema.md
> which is in the Linux kernel source tree for information on the validation
> tools.
>
> Also, dtc has been adding many checks.  See file checks.c in the dtc source
> tree.

Yes, but none of those concern formatting of dts files (e.g. 8
character tabs, {} locations, spaces around '='). I think the dtc
checks code is too late in the flow to check those things, but maybe
it is possible now with the source annotations recently added now that
I think about it? My original thought was adding something at the
earlier stages with the bison/flex parsing (of which I really have no
experience with).

Rob

[Index of Archives]     [Device Tree]     [Device Tree Spec]     [Linux Driver Backports]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Yosemite Backpacking]