Re: DTC v1.4.7 released

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 11:02:37AM +0200, Hector Oron wrote:
> Hello,

> > On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 1:43 PM Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Jul 2018-07-23:
> >>
> >> Tag appears to be missing from:
> >>
> >>   https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/dtc/dtc.git
> >
> > Indeed, and so are some master commits since then.
>
> When attempting to run tests on platforms that have no valgrind
> available, few test cases are unable to run.
> Valgrind has become a dependency of `make check` instead the old `make
> checkm`. The offensive commits are:
>
>    4b8fcc3 libfdt: Add fdt_check_full() function
>    c14223f tests: Use valgrind client requests for better checking
>    5b67d2b tests: Better handling of valgrind errors saving blobs
>    85bce8b tests: Correction to vg_prepare_blob()
>
> Could you consider reverting those or move the affected testcases to
> `make checkm` realm, that way devicetree-compiler testsuite would
> still be functional on platforms (i.e. ARMv5tel) that have no valgrind
> support.

Sorry I've taken so long to reply.

It's not really an issue of removing specific testcases.  make checkm
doesn't run different tests - it runs the same tests, all running
under valgrind.  We needed the valgrind interface things to prevent
some incorrect errors, and catch some other errors which otherwise we
wouldn't pick up.

In theory, fixing the problem for systems without valgrind is easy: we
can just define the valgrind calls to be no-ops in that case.

The difficulty is that we need to compile the code differently for
that case, which means more conditional compilation than we currently
have, and is kind of awkward in the Makefiles.

I'm sure it's possible to sort it out, I've just been pretty busy with
my day job, so I haven't had a chance to look at it properly.

				| _way_ _around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson

[Index of Archives]     [Device Tree]     [Device Tree Spec]     [Linux Driver Backports]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Yosemite Backpacking]