Re: [RFC] Introducing yamldt, a yaml to dtb compiler

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 09:12:40PM -0500, Rob Herring wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 7:51 PM, Tom Rini <trini@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 06:00:00PM -0500, Rob Herring wrote:

> >> Let me rephrase Frank's statement: this is not a good idea for the
> >> main repository of dts files.
> >>
> >> But sure, DTS is already not the only source of DTBs. It comes from
> >> firmware on Power systems.
> >
> > Yes, but unless they're generated from something other than a (at the
> > time) normal DTS, that's not a good example, IMHO.
>
> They aren't. I'm talking about IBM systems. The firmware has its own
> representation and flattens that to a DTB is how I understand it.

Oh, cool!

> >> If you want to create and maintain your own
> >> source format, then that is perfectly fine. But based on the current
> >> understanding, I'm not seeing a reason we'd convert DTS files to YAML.
> >
> > Can I propose one?  To borrow a phrase, Validation, Validation,
> > Validation.  Let me point to fe496e23b748 in the kernel for a moment.  I
> > found that as part of helping a new engineer come up to speed on doing
> > device tree work.  What I found was a case where:
> > - The binding doc gives one value for compatible as the required value.
> > - The code accepts only a single, different value.
> > - A few in-kernel dts files have different still values.
> >
> > If the common dts source file was in yaml, binding docs would be written
> > so that we could use them as validation and hey, the above wouldn't ever
> > have happened.  And I'm sure this is not the only example that's in-tree
> > right now.  These kind of problems create an artificially high barrier
> > to entry in a rather important area of the kernel (you can't trust the
> > docs, you have to check around the code too, and of course the code
> > might have moved since the docs were written).
>
> I'm all for validation, but the binding doc or schema and files that
> describe platforms (aka DTS files) are not the same thing. The schema
> is what are the constraints for a binding. Maybe some bindings are
> fixed where there's only one valid binding implementation, but that's
> the easy case (we could use DTS for that). I'll take YAML for binding
> docs yesterday. Believe me, I'm tired of reviewing free form binding
> docs. If that's where you want to go, reply to my reply that went
> unanswered on Matt Porter's YAML proposal from 2 years ago (or maybe 3
> now). I had the whole binding doc tree converted over to an initial
> YAML schema. We just need to agree on the schema. Or we can keep
> waiting for Grant to publish what he started on...

My point here is that if the main tooling was expecting a YAML input
anything else that we could do on top of that source base becomes a lot
easier to add in and get people to try since they'll have the tools and
it's just apply a patch.

> >> Maybe you're not proposing that now, but if that is not the end goal I
> >> don't see the point of a new format. If YAML solves a bunch of
> >> problems, then of course we'd want to convert DTS files at some point.
> >
> > To borrow that same phrase again, Tooling, Tooling, Tooling.  The
> > current dts format is a niche format.  That's great, our community
> > is basically responsible for all tooling, we can do what we want.
> > That's also awful, we're the only people that care about tooling and we
> > all have lots of other itches to scratch.  There are so so so many
> > editors that just know YAML and will work it into the rest of the
> > development environment someone is using.  None of that exists for our
> > dts format.  Who cares about that?  Engineers that aren't primarily
> > writing dts files.  I'm pretty sure every engineer that's written /
> > extended a dts file has made an "invisible" mistake that would have been
> > caught with a different source format that had validation already.
>
> The same can be said about DTB format as well.

I don't follow, sorry.  You don't expect most engineers to be poking the
object files, you expect the to be able to edit the sources.

> > And we've been talking about validation for ages now.  We'll probably
> > still be talking about it for ages more (as it's hard
> > thanked-at-conferences-and-such work!), until it reaches the point where
> > anyone can pick up a current binding and re-format it into yaml for
> > validation.
>
> I did state earlier that I think this tool has uses, but on it's own
> and only to change from dts to yaml source files, I don't see it.
> Let's start with validation and define the schema for that and tools
> for that. If that involves dts to yaml in the flow, I don't really
> care.
>
> Or if it is type checking that Pantelis keeps mentioning, then let's
> discuss that. Those are different problems.

I'll let Pantelis chime in more if he cares to.

--
Tom

[Index of Archives]     [Device Tree]     [Device Tree Spec]     [Linux Driver Backports]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Yosemite Backpacking]