Re: Erasure coding enhancements - design for review

We've had multiple conversations with Intel in the past around OpenCAS.  They had some pretty impressive performance numbers and it was fairly flexible (you could do things like pin block regions into the cache).  I had always hoped that they would get it mainlined into the kernel, but ultimately that didn't happen. There's been some more userland focused stuff coming out of the drive vendors though that might be interesting.

I still would like to get back to my idea at some point of allowing bluestore overwrite extents to live on the fast device and then large (maybe not full) object writes to the slow device of the most fragmented objects.  The idea here would be that once an overwrite extent is written to the fast device, we no longer need to create a new extent on the slow device (causing fragmentation) but can instead write it in-place.  Potentially if you have compressed data you can accumulate lots of overwrite extents on the fast device and then re-compress in one go.  I know Adam has a slightly different approach he would like to take here, but the gist of it is that COW like we do in bluestore is painful when you have flash at your disposal.

Mark