Re: [ceph-users] Call for Interest: Managed SMB Protocol Support

Hi John,
> A few major features we have planned include:
> * Standalone servers (internally defined users/groups)

No concerns here

> * Active Directory Domain Member Servers

In the second case, what is the plan regarding UID mapping? Is NFS
coexistence planned, or a concurrent mount of the same directory using
CephFS directly?

In fact, I am quite skeptical, because, at least in my experience,
every customer's SAMBA configuration as a domain member is a unique
snowflake, and cephadm would need an ability to specify arbitrary UID
mapping configuration to match what the customer uses elsewhere - and
the match must be precise.

Here is what I have seen or was told about:

1. We don't care about interoperability with NFS or CephFS, so we just
let SAMBA invent whatever UIDs and GIDs it needs using the "tdb2"
idmap backend. It's completely OK that workstations get different UIDs
and GIDs, as only SIDs traverse the wire.
2. [not seen in the wild, the customer did not actually implement it,
it's a product of internal miscommunication, and I am not sure if it
is valid at all] We don't care about interoperability with CephFS,
and, while we have NFS, security guys would not allow running NFS
non-kerberized. Therefore, no UIDs or GIDs traverse the wire, only
SIDs and names. Therefore, all we need is to allow both SAMBA and NFS
to use shared UID mapping allocated on as-needed basis using the
"tdb2" idmap module, and it doesn't matter that these UIDs and GIDs
are inconsistent with what clients choose.
3. We don't care about ACLs at all, and don't care about CephFS
interoperability. We set ownership of all new files to root:root 0666
using whatever options are available [well, I would rather use a
dedicated nobody-style uid/gid here]. All we care about is that only
authorized workstations or authorized users can connect to each NFS or
SMB share, and we absolutely don't want them to be able to set custom
ownership or ACLs.
4. We care about NFS and CephFS file ownership being consistent with
what Windows clients see. We store all UIDs and GIDs in Active
Directory using the rfc2307 schema, and it's mandatory that all
servers (especially SAMBA - thanks to the "ad" idmap backend) respect
that and don't try to invent anything [well, they do - BUILTIN/Users
gets its GID through tdb2]. Oh, and by the way, we have this strangely
low-numbered group that everybody gets wrong unless they set "idmap
config CORP : range = 500-999999".
5. We use a few static ranges for algorithmic ID translation using the
idmap rid backend. Everything works.
6. We use SSSD, which provides consistent IDs everywhere, and for a
few devices which can't use it, we configured compatible idmap rid
ranges for use with winbindd. The only problem is that we like
user-private groups, and only SSSD has support for them (although we
admit it's our fault that we enabled this non-default option).
7. We store ID mappings in non-AD LDAP and use winbindd with the
"ldap" idmap backend.

I am sure other weird but valid setups exist - please extend the list
if you can.

Which of the above scenarios would be supportable without resorting to
the old way of installing SAMBA manually alongside the cluster?

--
Alexander E. Patrakov