Re: rados_exec returning with EIO Debugging

On Fri, Mar 01, 2024 at 08:18:24PM +0000, Donald Jennings wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We are using Ceph as the storage backend for some Cloud research which
> involves offloading functions to storage nodes to benefit from
> near-storage processing. We are using rados_exec to achieve this by
> attempting to call a class method on the object which then executes
> the function locally. However, we have been running into an issue
> where rados_exec fails with EIO and the request is never reaching the
> storage node with method never being called.
>
> Upon debugging this, I have noticed that if i re-put the same object
> with a different key it works (provided it is on a different OSD). It
> appears that the OSD cannot serve a rados_exec request.
What's the simplest offload function you can reproduce the problem with,
and can you share that?

> This bug happens under a few conditions
>
>   1.  If we invoke the function before uploading it
>   2.  Non-deterministically when the OSD is under load.
>
> I cannot seem to debug it for the life of me and only thing I have to
> go on is the OSDs cannot serve requests. I have attempted to remove
> the object from the pool and put it back with the same key and it does
> the exact same thing.
My initial read of this is that the content of the object is breaking
your function?

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation President & Treasurer