Re: mgr modules' subinterpreter use and their pyo3 incompatibility

This was discussed in the CLT call. There's some notes on it in the 2024/02/07 section of https://pad.ceph.com/p/clt-weekly-minutes.

On Wed, Feb 21, 2024 at 10:35 AM Matthew Vernon <mvernon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I'm referring to https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/64213 and the older
https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/63529 (which relates to the dashboard
mgr module specifically). But basically, the use of pyo3 isn't safe in
subinterpreters[0], and it introduced a check to error out on such use.

This is already causing problems in Debian bookworm (I think my chance
that a version of pyo3 with the check got released there first - it
looks like both Ubuntu 23.04 and now centos9 are likely also affected?),
although the MR that takes the problematic code out of the dashboard may
help somewhat (and I've opened an MR to backport it to reef -
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/55689 ).

I may have missed discussion on it, but is there a plan for addressing
this set of issues, please? It doesn't look like multiple subinterpreter
support in pyo3 is going to happen any time soon...

Regards,

Matthew
[0] https://github.com/PyO3/pyo3/issues/576