PSA: you can now push wip branches that will build with CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug

Short summary: have "-debug" terminating your branch name. See:

https://github.com/ceph/ceph-build/pull/2167

and the integration branch helper script change:

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/53855

The benefit for doing this is that mutex debugging will be enabled,
many compiler checks are enabled, and some optimizations will be
disabled (potentially making some debugging easier). One known
drawback will be that execution may be slower.

See also:

https://github.com/ceph/ceph-build/pull/2167#issuecomment-1751033910

There are build failures for CentOS 8 for which I will make tickets soon.

See also:

https://shaman.ceph.com/builds/ceph/wip-batrick-testing-20231006.014828-debug/cfbdc475a5ca4098c0330e42cd978c9fd647e012/

If this is shown to not create a lot of fallout in the QA suite
testing, this may be turned on by default without the "-debug" suffix
on branch names. I encourage QA testers to give this a try so any
issues can be shaken out.

--
Patrick Donnelly, Ph.D.
He / Him / His