Re: Boost on main updated to v1.82

On Thu, Jul 20, 2023 at 1:44 PM John Mulligan
<phlogistonjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thursday, July 20, 2023 5:04:36 AM EDT Ilya Dryomov wrote:

> > > Yes.
> > >
> > > There are three things going on here:
> > >
> > > 1. It looks like things aren't completely cleaned up between make check
> > >
> > >    runs, and stuff installed for one hangs around for others. This
> > >    surprises me.
> > >
> > > 2. It looks like quincy's install-deps.sh wasn't updated when we
> > >
> > >    switched to jammy, and it was just using whatever version of Boost
> > >    was lying around from previous builds. When this was 1.79, that
> > >    didn't cause problems. For 1.82, it does.
> > >
> > > 3. Proximately, the workaround for the Boost.Phoenix bug isn't in
> > >
> > >    quincy.
> > >
> > > I have a candidate fix in https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/52559
> > >
> > > Long-term, I think we should also address issue 1, the state of the
> > > bulder being overly dependendent on what was built previously.
> >
> > This is what Ernesto and John have been cooperating on.  Some
> > preliminary work landed in https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/48697, the
> > goal is to fully containerize everything that's running in Jenkins.
> >
> > John, any news on picking up https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/46071?
> >

> Hi there, thanks for following up on this. This thread is timely because I was
> just talking to Adam King about how I haven't spent much time on that lately.
> I still occasionally update my WIP branch: https://github.com/phlogistonjohn/
> ceph/tree/jjm-containerized-build
> - mainly when I need to use it from time to time.
>
> Unfortunately my experience with PR#48697 was a bit discouraging because it
> was very hard to get reviews on that and find someone willing to merge it (see:
> https://lists.ceph.io/hyperkitty/list/dev@xxxxxxx/thread/
> HMD6SXLYFRPEGW4GVKY46IMXO4GB373D/#RIDNTMSFY2ZB6HAOABXSX4QQ6H3ENTE4  ). It
> seems to me that a lot of these build scripts fall between the cracks in the
> Ceph team structure. The remaining changes in the branch are a mix of assorted

Yes, unfortunately this has been the case with David's and Kefu's
departures.  For help with advancing jjm-containerized-build work,
I would reach out to Adam, Dan and Laura (CCed, please shout if I'm
wrong and you shouldn't be on this list!).

> fixes and cleanups to make things compile or run in the container env and more
> build scripts to make it "easy" to kick off a containerized build.
>
> I should stop being lazy and at least file PRs for some of the small fixes.
> However, I wonder if there is a good forum for discussion around topics like
> the builds scripts. I looked at the Ceph community calendar to see if there
> was a meeting that fit the topic. I saw a biweekly "infrastructure" meeting
> that I thought I might listen in on to see if it would be appropriate to
> discuss the build scripts and related topics. Since I'm replying in the thread
> now I will also raise it here: is there a good forum to have more detailed
> discussions wrt design and implementation of containerized builds, the
> builders, the scripts, etc?

I think the "Ceph Infrastructure" meeting on Thursdays is the place.
Even though this is more of a build/ops item, that meeting should be
attended by the right people.

Thanks,

                Ilya