Re: [ceph-users] First Reef release candidate - v18.1.0

Hi Michal,

Thank you for volunteering to help test the Reef release!

On Tue, Jun 27, 2023 at 6:44 AM Michal Strnad <michal.strnad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi everyone,

We read that you are looking for ceph users who would be willing to help
with performance testing of a new version of Ceph called Reef. We would
like to volunteer and offer our assistance :-).

Currently, we are setting up a large cluster consisting of fifty storage
nodes, each with 24 rotational disks and 8 NVMe drives, some of which
are designated for Bluestore and others for data purposes. Each of these
machines is equipped with an AMD EPYC 7282 16-Core processor, ~314GB of
memory, and a 2x25Gbps network connection. The network on each of these
machines is used for both public and cluster communication, and if
necessary, we can prioritize one over the other through QoS adjustments
within the VLAN. However, we haven't had the need to do so thus far.

Furthermore, we have sixteen application servers for monitors, MGR,
metadata servers, and radosgw gateways. Each of these application
servers is equipped with an AMD EPYC 7502 32-Core processor, ~250GB of
memory, and a 2x25Gbps network connection.

Both the storage and application servers are connected to two Nexus 9000
switches with connectivity reaching several 100Gbps towards the internet.

The mentioned cluster will be operational within a few weeks, with Ceph
already installed and ready to undergo performance testing. Once this is
ready, it will be possible to start testing the Reef version. We
anticipate having approximately 2-3 weeks for testing. Are you
interested in the performance results? To achieve better results, it
would be beneficial to coordinate these tests in some way, so that we
don't repeat what others have already tried. Could you please guide us
on what specific aspects we should focus on, which parameters to test,
and how to properly conduct the tests?

We are particularly interested to see the performance impact of the new RockDB version we'll be shipping with Reef. I am adding Mark to this email to provide guidance on performance tests.

After an agreement, it will be possible to arrange some form of access
to the  machines, for example, by meeting via video conference and
fine-tuning them together. Alternatively, we can also work on it through
email, IRC, Slack, or any other suitable means.

We are coordinating community efforts around such testing in #ceph-at-scale slack channel in ceph-storage.slack.com. I sent you an invite.

Thanks,
Neha

Kind regards,
Michal Strnad