Re: Proposal: Limiting builds for branches pushed to ceph-ci

Great idea, Eric! Definitely that'd certainly save a lot of resources.

A small suggestion if I may: based upon your use-case, this will be mostly used to pick 1 or max 2 target releases, right?

So rather than relying on a new file inside some repo, what about defining this into the branch name? It feels like a bit hacky at first, but we already recommend a conventional branch name for ceph-ci (mostly for informational purposes), so we could simply extend that convention.

The current syntax is:

The proposed syntax would be (we have upto 250 chars to play with branch names):

The main benefits of this are:
  • Can be easily added to the "build-integration-branch" script (which basically generates a branch name by appending stuff),
  • Jenkins allows to trigger jobs based on branch name patterns,
  • In Shaman/Jenkins/Pulpito/etc., it would also be immediate to understand what releases a job/branch is building (no need to check out the branch code).
  • Could be easily implemented in teuthology-suite to detect the available Shaman packages and run only those.

Kind Regards,
Ernesto

On Thu, Feb 2, 2023 at 7:19 PM J. Eric Ivancich <ivancich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It seems there must be some other repo involved with the processing scripts that use these .yml files. For example, when I look in ceph-build for a non-yml file that has some of the keys in the .yml files (e.g., "condition-kind"), I can’t find any. So that would seem to suggest that there’s some other repo containing scripts that I haven’t found yet.

Eric
(he/him)