github merge options (merge commit vs. rebase-and-merge)

this refers to the 'Merge pull request' button on github, and its
options for the merge strategy. the only option enabled for the
ceph.git repo is 'create a merge commit', and that's the right default
for main and stable release branches

but for feature branches that aren't ready to merge to main, i'd like
the option to use 'rebase and merge'. that way, we can target pull
requests at the feature branch and merge them without merge commits.
then once the feature branch is stable and ready, we can open a pull
request to merge the feature branch to main

as i understand it, there's a policy not to include merge commits in
pull requests, though i don't see it documented in
https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/dev/developer_guide/basic-workflow/#merging

is there a way to adjust github's merge strategy so that the 'create a
merge commit' option is only enforced for stable branches?