Java usage in Ceph

Hi all,

As you all know, we’ve had a lot of issues in sepia recently. One of them is that we’re having trouble with Java paths during builds (I havent followed the details, tbh). Radek pointed out [1] that CephFS seems to be the only user of Java in the codebase, and when I ran a “git grep” the only occurrences were for cephfs-java, which AFAIK only exists to support the (very defunct) Hadoop plug-in.

Are there no other users? Can we disable this temporarily to get builds working in the lab and continue testing? Is anybody going to notice if we remove it?

If the answers are “yes”, let’s do as much as we can and get some builds going ASAP?
Thanks,
-Greg